POST-IT FROM THE PASTOR
"The LORD is compassionate and gracious, slow to anger, abounding in love. He will not always accuse, nor will he harbor his anger forever; he does not treat us as our sins deserve or repay us according to our iniquities. For as high as the heavens are above the earth, so great is his love for those who fear him; as far as the east is from the west, so far has he removed our transgressions from us. As a father has compassion on his children, so the LORD has compassion on those who fear him; for he knows how we are formed, he remembers that we are dust.” (Psalm 103:8-14)
Those who do not know the Scriptures well sometimes suggest that there are two Gods in the Bible: the angry, grouchy, war-mongering judge of the Old Testament (memorably depicted by Monty Python), and the friendly, meek, always-accepting buddy Jesus of the New Testament (often depicted in country music). The truth is that there is just one God, who disciplines His children as a loving and compassionate Father, who sacrificed Himself to rescue us as a human Son, and who continually calls us back into a right relationship with Him as the Holy Spirit. The more we read through and understand the entirety of Scripture, the more we recognize the continuity of God’s grace guiding our history.
“Heavenly Father, continue to remind us of Your patient compassion, shape us through Your loving grace, and enable us to represent You through both holiness and humble service, in Jesus’ name, amen.”
TEN THINGS YOU NEVER HEAR A REAL DAD SAY:
10. "Can you believe it? I’m lost! Looks like we’ll have to stop and ask for directions."
9. "Now that you’re 15, you’re ready for un-chaperoned car dates. Won’t that be fun?"
8. "I noticed that all your friends have a certain hostile attitude. I like that."
7. "Here’s my credit card; your friends are waiting at the mall. Go crazy!!!"
6. "Why play football, son? Isn’t figure skating good enough for you?"
5. "Your parents are going away for the weekend. You might want to throw a party."
4. "What’s with your car? Some doo-hickey? Tow it to a mechanic and pay what he asks."
3. "No son of mine is going without an earring. Quit belly-aching and let’s get you pierced."
2. "What do you want to get a job for? I make plenty of money for you to spend."
And the number one thing you’ll never hear a real dad say:
1. "I can’t wait until you grow up and get out on your own.”
The LORD watch over you this week!
As Pastor at Pilgrim, Kirk is fueled by a passion for God's Word and a lot of good coffee.